No one plans on being in a car accident, ever. No one could ever be completely prepared for all the serious consequences that come with it. There is no good way to get ready for a car accident because they are always unexpected. However, a general knowledge of car crashes and the potential damage they can cause may be one way people can brace themselves for the impact.
It is not a secret that car accidents can cause severe injuries. In fact, over two million people are injured in car crashes every year in the United States. What are some common injuries suffered in car accidents?
Common car accident injuries
While all car accidents are different there are some commonalities among the injuries people typically suffer after one. These include:
- Head and back injuries – concussions, spinal cord damage and fractures
- Neck and chest injuries – Whiplash, neck pain and broken ribs
- Hand and wrist injuries – fractures, sprains and bruising
- Leg and foot injuries – torn ACL, broken bones and ligament damage
- Emotional injuries – distress, PTSD and other psychological conditions
These are some of the most common injuries related to car accidents. While not all car crashes can be prevented, there are a few ways you can minimize the risk of these injuries. Make sure your airbags are always in working order and be sure to wear your seat-belt at all times in the car.
If you or someone you love suffered an injury from a car accident, you can take action. Many car accidents are preventable and there are many resources out there that can both help you stop an accident from happening and help yourself and people you love after the fact.