Thomas V. Mike Miller, Jr., P.A. Over 50 Years Of Experience

Call For A Free Consultation


Clinton: 301-856-3030 Dunkirk: 301-855-3100

Thomas V. Mike Miller, Jr., P.A. is here for you during this difficult time by continuing to remain open and fully functioning. Whether you're having a personal injury, workers comp, family law, protective order, criminal law or traffic defense related issue, our attorneys are available by appointment, phone or video consultations to meet your needs. To schedule a consultation, please call our office at 301-856-3030 or contact us through our website and we will respond promptly.

The advantages of accepting a plea deal

If you were to sit in a courtroom and listen to all the trial dates being set, you'd assume that most cases go to trial. But this is far from the case. In fact, only 10 percent ever do. In the case of the other 90 percent of them, many defendants end up taking plea deals.

Prosecutors have difficulty keeping pace with the sheer number of cases that come across their desks. If they were to try every case, there would be a significant backlog in processing criminals through the legal system. It would be costly to do so as well.

One of the reasons that prosecutors plea bargain with defendants is to keep victims from the trauma of having to testify when they are unwilling. Prosecutors also plea bargain to reduce their caseloads. In exchange for not having to try a case, the prosecutor might agree to reduce the charges against a defendant. Some prosecutors may also offer plea deals in exchange for defendants testifying against others.

When prosecutors try to plea bargain, it's often advantageous for defendants to accept them. Doing so can greatly reduce the amount of time spent in jail or the money paid in fines. It can also reduce court costs and other expenses of putting on a defense.

From the perspective of a prosecutor, a plea deal can serve as a way to ensure that someone is at least held accountable for a crime. This is seen as a desirable alternative to trying a case where the defendant is acquitted by a jury.

From a defendant's perspective, in most cases, accepting a plea deal is understood as an admission of guilt. Still, it can save him or her from having to roll the dice on a jury's verdict. Plea deals can give defendants control over the outcomes of their cases by negotiating for reduced consequences.

Dunkirk residents who have been charged with crimes should learn all they can about the criminal process when determining a defense strategy. Then, you can decide whether it's best to stand trial or accept a plea deal.

Source: FindLaw, "Plea bargain pros and cons," accessed June 15, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help?Schedule your free consultation today!

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Clinton Office Building Dunkirk Office Building

Clinton Office
8808 Old Branch Avenue
P.O. Box 219
Clinton, MD 20735

Phone: 301-856-3030
Fax: 301-856-4029
Clinton Law Office Map

Dunkirk Office
2981 Penwick Lane
Dunkirk, MD 20754

Phone: 301-855-3100
Fax: 301-855-8251
Dunkirk Law Office Map